[Foundation-l] Scheduled intermittent downtime on all Wikimedia projects on May 24

FT2 ft2.wiki at gmail.com
Wed May 25 14:08:20 UTC 2011

The measure is "impact to users", not "revenue losses"...

Access to Wikimedia is ubiquitous - it pops up in other tools, it's linked
from other sites, it's used to track events of interest to the reader, it's
used for work, leisure, projects, and social activities.  Imagine people
browsing google.com, apple.com, microsoft.com, and suddenly for an extended
period getting "server not found" with nothing more of explanation, no
details, no idea when they can use the site again (minutes? days?) or if it
will repeat. The impact is similar for Wikimedia's readers.

FT2