[Foundation-l] Scheduled intermittent downtime on all Wikimedia projects on May 24

Thomas Morton morton.thomas at googlemail.com
Wed May 25 13:49:16 UTC 2011

Just conceptualising...

I haven't played with Squid for a while (so am rusty) but the simplest
solution would probably be to catch all PHP errors somewhere in the
Mediawiki code and return a 500 status error code.

Then get Squid to map that to the static error page.

On the other hand throwing a "catch any sort of error" into an  application
isn't good practice. As Tim points out, errors can generate from all over
the place and it is better to catch them explicitly. So that would be a
non-trivial process.

Tom