[Foundation-l] Scheduled intermittent downtime on all Wikimedia projects on May 24

Thomas Morton morton.thomas at googlemail.com
Wed May 25 11:23:46 UTC 2011

Maybe we can replace the IRC link in the Squid error message with a
link to the WatchMouse page
@Tim; that seems a good idea.

@Domas, I'm afraid you don't seem to have understood the premise of my
suggestion.. which is fine. But one fallacy is worth responding to:

> You have some annoying users, our users are awesome and don't complain
endlessly!

The first rule of a website people use regularly is: "users will complain
endlessly"

One of my business mentors has a good maxim about this: "Just because you
can't see them complaining, don't simply assume they are not. Because they
are."

Twitter, Facebook, IRC and all sorts of other websites had people
complaining about the down time. That is just a fact of life :)

To wit: If that static error page cannot easily be changed prior to a
maintenance, then fine :) no worries

Tom