[Foundation-l] Scheduled intermittent downtime on all Wikimedia projects on May 24

Austin Hair adhair at gmail.com
Wed May 25 09:53:58 UTC 2011

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 9:32 AM, FT2 <ft2.wiki at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't get this.
>
> Would it be possible in future, if the sites are unresponsive, or will be
> unresponsive due to planned maintenance, to establish a fallback that simply
> displays an explanatory status message to the public?

Would it have changed anything for you?

I tried to load Wikipedia a few times during the downtime, and a
maintenance error actually did appear most of the time. I did get a
few database errors, but I assumed that I wasn't the first to notice
and that someone was diligently working on it.

Regardless, my action was the same as it would have been in any case:
try back later.

Austin