[Foundation-l] Scheduled intermittent downtime on all Wikimedia projects on May 24

Thomas Morton morton.thomas at googlemail.com
Tue May 24 13:32:58 UTC 2011

So, just a quick thought for future reference - during maintenance is it
possible in future to update the error message to explain that maintenance
is ongoing?

Seeing as how widely WMF projects are used by a non-technical project the
current MySQL connection error I am seeing on Commons is just going to cause
confusion :) And the standard error page WIkipedia was showing a minute ago
is not particularly helpful/explanatory in this specific situation.

Indeed, given the almost certainty of downtime from this maintenance, would
it not just be best to bite the bullet (in such cases) and take the affected
sites off-line with a useful maintenance message? It's essentially the same
end point.

What's the best way of addressing this suggestion to the right people? (i.e.
the ops team?)

Tom