[Foundation-l] 1.3 billion of humans don't have Wikipedia in their native...

Marcus Buck me at marcusbuck.org
Mon May 23 18:39:27 UTC 2011

An'n 23.05.2011 17:37, hett Ziko van Dijk schreven:
> I am even more pessimistic. Of course, Wikipedia exits in many
> languages, but many Wikipedia language versions are still quite small
> and of low quality, typical encyclopedias-to-become, but still no
> really useful encyclopedias by now.
If we consider the extent of old pre-internet paper encyclopedias as the
threshold between "encyclopedia-to-become" and "encyclopedia" and if we
don't aim at the top-tier encyclopedias, but at the middle-tier which
was not as complete as the top-tier works but affordable, we are at
about 150,000 entries, I guess.

 From my experience at the German Wikipedia it was at about 200,000
articles when the last articles were created where I had the feeling
that no serious encyclopedia could do without them.

For a naturally grown and not bot-fueled Wikipedia that should roughly
be the number of articles to become indeed useful ... in coverage of
topics relevant to the readers, quality is another issue. But I guess
the quality of the Wikipedias is better than the quality of the big
Wikipedias back then when they were the same size, because the smaller
Wikipedias nowadays can draw from the bigger Wikipedias, an sourced
information pool that was not available before.

Looking at <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wikipedias> we have
17 Wikipedias that have more than 200,000 articles. Among them none that
haven't had encyclopedias before the internet age.

Actually there are no languages anywhere in the top group where we could
really prove our mission of bringing knowledge to people who before had
no chance to obtain it in their native languages. All of them are either
strong languages that have supporting national states and had decent
encyclopedias before or they are bot fueled (Esperanto is neither, but
it's also no language to reach people unreached by education).

Galician with 71,000 articles is the first language that has no strong
supporting state/territory and is not mainly build by bots, where we
serve an outstanding service to the language community. But they are of
course reached by Spanish/Portuguese education.

Telugu with almost 48,000 articles seems to be the biggest wikipedia in
a language where we serve the language community with things that
wouldn't exist otherwise.

Yes, I think we are far away from being a useful and important
encyclopedia except for the national languages of the first and second
world.

Marcus Buck