[Foundation-l] 1.3 billion of humans don't have Wikipedia in their native language (Milos Rancic)

Neil Harris neil at tonal.clara.co.uk
Mon May 23 15:07:06 UTC 2011

On 22/05/11 18:29, WereSpielChequers wrote:

> We are likely to reach each of the following on the way to our target,
> and it would be great to announce them when we reach them:
> 1 90% of literate people have a version of wikipedia available in a
> language that they understand
> 2 95% of literate people have a version of wikipedia available in a
> language that they understand
> 3 99% of literate people have a version of wikipedia available in a
> language that they understand
> 4 90% of literate people have a version of wikipedia available in
> their native language
> 5 95% of literate people have a version of wikipedia available in
> their native language
> 6 99% of literate people have a version of wikipedia available in
> their native language
>
> WereSpielChequers

This raises the interesting prospect of bringing Wikipedia to the
billion or more people who are currently illiterate, as the cost of
access to mobile phones and network connectivity continues to fall to
the point where it is becoming available even to some of the poorest
people in the world, regardless of literacy. (Consider, for example, the
reported increases in literacy in some parts of Africa as people learn
literacy skills simply to be able to SMS their friends and use Facebook.)

As part of the WMF's mission, I wonder if it could be worth considering
providing a Web-based English (or other language) literacy course that
could start with very simple video lessons to give an elementary
vocabulary first, and then allow the user to slowly bootstrap their
language sophistication from there? Although this would be a massive job
to create, once the mission was put in place, many people might be
willing to crowdsource the needed content.

-- Neil