[Foundation-l] Interesting legal action

jokarwilis2005 at gmail.com jokarwilis2005 at gmail.com
Mon May 23 00:06:11 UTC 2011

My blog is my hobby
http://sdgunung03.blogspot.com
Powered by Telkomsel BlackBerry®

-----Original Message-----
From: Sarah <slimvirgin at gmail.com>
Sender: foundation-l-bounces at lists.wikimedia.org
Date: Sun, 22 May 2011 16:32:06
Subject: Re: [Foundation-l] Interesting legal action

On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 16:03, Andrew Gray <andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk> wrote:
> On 22 May 2011 19:58, Sarah <slimvirgin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The BLP problem is a very divisive one on the English Wikipedia, but
>> it's not entirely clear how grounded it is in fact. Sometimes we're
>> told OTRS is overwhelmed by the number of BLP complaints, but no
>> figures are given.
>>
>> Some hard stats -- X number of complaints concerning Y number of
>> articles within time T, of which Z were actionable -- would be very
>> useful.
>
> ... In a single week in late 2009, we got an average of 40-50 active
> tickets per day - not spam, not people thinking we were someone else,
> etc. 15% of those were about BLP issues. If we look *only* at tickets
> about specific article issues (removing the general WP/WMF-related
> enquiries and "normal" vandalism reports), BLP tickets made up 30% of
> the traffic. Making an estimate for recurring cases, this suggests we
> get contacted regarding 2,000 to 2,500 BLP issues per year. I don't
> have any figures on actionability, I'm afraid, but it's an intriguing
> question...

It's very helpful, Andrew, thank you.

I'd like to see some kind of confidential reporting system for BLP
issues, because a lot aren't channeled through OTRS. But because we
have no way of recording them, the extent of the problem is unknown.

It would have to be confidential, so as not to draw attention to the
articles. A Foundation email address would suffice, where we report
that someone complained about [[Article X]]. Sometimes it's as simple
as receiving an email request to remove a date of birth, but the point
is we have caused that person worry. I would like to know how much
worry we are causing the subjects of our articles.

And yes, I take your point about how long it can take to resolve these
things. I've been involved in non-OTRS BLP issues, and people need a
lot of reassurance, so it can be very time-consuming.

Sarah