[Foundation-l] No rights to participate

Thomas Morton morton.thomas at googlemail.com
Sun May 22 16:32:07 UTC 2011

I'm note sure I understand... Wikipedia is privately owned by the
foundation. There is no real definition of "public website", but I suppose a
government website would be publicly owned (although that raises an
interesting question as to your rights to access/contribute to such a
website).

The point is; you cannot say "stopping me from editing Wikipedia is
a violation of my right to free speech" because the WMF (and the editor
community, due to their relative control of the eco-system) only grants you
the privilege of editing the site, which can be rescinded at any time, for
any reason.

As the page says... that is not intended to sound like being a jerk. It is
just a practical response to those claiming the misconception they have a
right to soapbox on the site.

@Fred:

> Community consensus will not permit that.

I'm not sure I follow... isn't that a paradox? :)

Tom