[Foundation-l] 1.3 billion of humans don't have Wikipedia in their native language

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Sun May 22 13:45:46 UTC 2011

On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 1:15 PM, Milos Rancic <millosh at gmail.com> wrote:

> Those are preliminary results. We have two chapters (and strategic
> focus) in countries of the list above. Inside of the longer list, which
> should be verified, we have more chapters. I noted that there are even
> two languages of Germany without Wikipedia, but with more than million
> of speakers: Mainfränkisch and Upper Saxon (the later one without test
> Wikipedia).

I think that also shows that this is quite relative. People who speak
Mainfränkisch or Upper Saxon, will use German in more formal
situations; in particular, the great majority will read and write
German more and better than their regional language, even when they
are using the second when talking with their family members or
neighbours. This may well be the case in some of the cases you give
too. Which does not mean we should not include those languages, but it
does mean that it does not have the high priority that "a multi
million language that we do not have" seems to entail.

André Engels, andreengels at gmail.com