[Foundation-l] 1.3 billion of humans don't have Wikipedia in their native language

church.of.emacs.ml church.of.emacs.ml at googlemail.com
Sun May 22 13:45:21 UTC 2011

Hi Milos, thanks for those interesting facts!

On 05/22/2011 01:15 PM, Milos Rancic wrote:
> Those are preliminary results. We have two chapters (and strategic
> focus) in countries of the list above. Inside of the longer list,
> which should be verified, we have more chapters. I noted that there
> are even two languages of Germany without Wikipedia, but with more
> than million of speakers: Mainfränkisch and Upper Saxon (the later
> one without test Wikipedia).

These are German dialects and (I suppose) everyone who speaks them, also
understands German ("hochdeutsche") Wikipedia. Almost all written text
is in German, those dialects are exclusively used in the spoken language
(there might be some rare exceptions).
So I guess while it's fine to have Wikipedia language version in local
dialects of German, it should not be a priority.
Denny's question is key:

On 05/22/2011 01:22 PM, Denny Vrandecic wrote:
> Can you also provide at least a rough estimate of the number of
> humans who don't have Wikipedia in any language they speak reasonably
> well (understanding very well that this is a hard problem of
> definition)?

-- Tobias