[Foundation-l] Interesting legal action

FT2 ft2.wiki at gmail.com
Fri May 20 22:14:56 UTC 2011

One interesting thing jumped out at me from this article:

"Google argued that the users of Google News were responsible for the acts
of reproduction and communication, not Google. It contended that it only
provided users facilities which an enabled these acts and so was exempt from
infringement..."

Interesting that Google's defense is basically the same as P2P website
hosts. "We're just indexing, it's the people who download that are
responsible for any breach".

I can't decide if this dismissal is reassuring (shows they are consistent
between big sites and smaller ones how the legal knots are tied) or worrying
(because of the severity it implies) in copyright terms......

FT2