[Foundation-l] Interesting legal action

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Fri May 20 18:29:39 UTC 2011

On 20 May 2011 19:21, Fred Bauder <fredbaud at fairpoint.net> wrote:

> I think any user who uses Twitter to publish information in the U.K. may
> potentially be liable.

The jurisdictional issues impact the users. Suing Twitter is unlikely
to go very far. It is *possible* they may be able to do something to
Facebook, who I believe have business presence in the UK. Suing WMUK
is unlikely to affect the behaviour of WMF, any more than the several
suits against WMDE have affected the behaviour of WMF.

I think our editors will continue to do the right thing concerning the
subjects of BLPs. And that we do this is IMO very important to
practical opinions concerning Wikipedia: that is, "Wikipedia" (WMF) is
not legally liable, but tries to do the *right thing*. We're here to
write an encyclopedia, not investigative journalism or a gossip rag.
That IMO is the most important *practical* protection of Wikipedia's
good name.

- d.