[Foundation-l] CentralNotice use

Steven Walling steven.walling at gmail.com
Thu May 19 20:59:20 UTC 2011

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 10:51 AM, Theo10011 <de10011 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Also, we need a page on Meta where any future requests could be placed and
> voted on, the current logging page for central notice could eventually be
> replaced with it.

Just speaking for myself, I think voting to pre-approve every
non-fundraising banner sounds like too much bureaucracy.

I personally feel that what we need is a guideline and/or banner system that
makes it crystal clear to anyone wanting to run a banner, describing in
detail what is and isn't appropriate including examples. But requiring
voting just to do anything makes me cringe, especially when there are
several technical options for hiding banners.

We should say what we want as a community, what we don't want, and then
trust people to use good judgement. Just like anything else on a wiki, it's
easy to take down a campaign the instant we don't want it, so if people
don't use good judgement and ignore the guidelines then we can remove a
banner, point to the guideline, and ask they discuss it further.

Steven