[Foundation-l] CentralNotice use

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Thu May 19 15:55:47 UTC 2011

On 05/19/2011 05:42 PM, Kirill Lokshin wrote:
> On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 11:42 AM, Milos Rancic <millosh at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 05/19/2011 10:52 AM, church.of.emacs.ml wrote:
>>> 1. Display it for logged-in users only. This is especially useful for
>>> information concerning active Wikimedians, e.g. Wikimania, POTY, etc.
>>
>> Agreed with this in relation to the Board elections. Just users with
>> accounts are able to vote or to be candidates. And those who are
>> interested in our governing should be able to read it on Meta, which
>> should have clear note on Main Page that there are ongoing elections.
>
> There are many people who would be legitimately interested in board
> elections, but who don't visit Meta on a regular basis (or at all, for that
> matter).

Then notices just on Main Pages? I don't think that a random user from
search engines is interested in our governing.

Not to say that if someone is interested in Wiki*p*edia governing, may
be introduced into the whole process after two or three pages, starting
from [[Wikipedia]] in any language.

As an account owner on LiveJournal, but without any activity, I am
getting emails which inform me about the process of their elections.
However, I don't remember that I saw that online (although I am very
rarely there).

I have no precise idea how, but it is obvious that we need to lower
amount of our own advertising to random users.