[Foundation-l] happy birthday, Wikipedias

Quim Gil quim.gil at nokia.com
Thu May 12 17:52:10 UTC 2011

On 5/10/2011 4:13 PM, ext phoebe ayers wrote:
> Tomorrow (May 11) is another anniversary date: it's been 10 years
> since the first group of non-English Wikipedias came online.

Joan and Анатолій have mentioned this already but here goes a bit more
detail:

The first non-English Wikipedia created was the German on March 16, 2001

The first edit on a non-English Wikipedia was at 21:07 UTC, March 16,
2001, made to the Catalan Main Page. The first contribution in a
non-English article dates from March 17 at 01:41 UTC in the article
http://ca.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%80bac

Sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Wikipedia#History
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalan_Wikipedia#Creation

fwiw I learned all this back in March when the Catalan Wikipedia was
celebrating the 10th anniversary with a big banner in all
ca.wikipedia.org pages.

--
Quim (son of German mother and Catalan father, based in USA)  ;)