[Foundation-l] [Fwd: Re: Do WMF want enwp.org?]

Keegan Peterzell keegan.wiki at gmail.com
Wed May 11 06:44:02 UTC 2011

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 1:02 AM, Brian J Mingus
<brian.mingus at colorado.edu>wrote:

> On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 11:51 PM, Keegan Peterzell <keegan.wiki at gmail.com
> >wrote:
>
> > On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 12:33 AM, Brian J Mingus
> > <brian.mingus at colorado.edu>wrote:
> > >
> > > It seems that giving w.net/com/org to the WMF would be in line with
> his
> > > vision of no corporation controlling a letter.
> > >

> > +1 for the idealism, but I'd like to add the concept is quite silly if
> you
> > consider the bulk of the internet users and their relevant care to domain
> > names.  It's pretty slim.  Heck, pitchfork.com used pitchforkmedia.comfor
> > many, many years without qualms.  Users see the URL and bookmark it.
> >
> > --
> > ~Keegan
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Keegan
> >

> I think the advantage is that it would allow us to generalize the concept
> behind enwp.org, which is that we want short urls for all languages and
> all
> projects. I'm thinking along the lines of http://en.wp.w.org . From that
> angle I would say that short urls of this type have become rather popular.
> You could of course use goo.gl, but then your url is obfuscated, whereas
> in
> this case it's not.
>
> --
> Brian Mingus
> Graduate student
> Computational Cognitive Neuroscience Lab
> University of Colorado at Boulder

I'm a fan of enwp.org as a URL shortener :)  We can come up with countless
possibilities for domain names, but this is one being handed to the
Foundation as a well known link (we use it for helpmebot in
#wikipedia-en-help on IRC).  It's a starter for our flagship project.