[Foundation-l] [Fwd: Re: Do WMF want enwp.org?]

Waldir Pimenta waldir at email.com
Wed May 11 00:18:24 UTC 2011

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 1:15 AM, Waldir Pimenta <waldir at email.com> wrote:

> On the other hand, as I said, there are likely more than the 9 .org TLDs I
> mentioned, so there probably is (if not, should be?) an automated system of
> reminders or something to that effect. This system could easily be extended
> to add one or a few more.

Btw, if we consider the wi.ki domain, which would be the _only one_ we'd
need to add for this purpose, so I really can't see any reason to not do it
(except perhaps unwillingness to add to the "wiki" --> "wikipedia"
misconception?)

Waldir

ps - ok, even if we didn't get a price reduction from the current owner and
have to buy it for the $992 it currently costs (see
https://domaininfo.com/search_result_xml.asp?domain=wi&tld=ki&currency=USD),
we would have to pay $1,000/yr for the renewal (
http://www.tak.ki/what-we-do/domain-name-registration.html), which doesn't
sound very cost-effective. But you'd think an email from, say, Jimmy Wales
;) could get a price reduction from the Telecommunications Authority of
Kiribati, wouldn't you? :D

pps - I just wanted to point out to a related thread, from 2010, in the
Village pump:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Village_pump_%28technical%29/Archive_76#URL_shortener_for_wikipedia.org_e.g._http:.2F.2Fwi.ki.2F_to_use_on_social_networking_sites_such_as_twitter.com