No subject

Tue Mar 15 17:42:23 UTC 2011

~15% of traffic, they take up substantially more time and effort. My
initial estimate was that they take up at least half the editor-hours
put into handling OTRS tickets; it would be hard to quantify this
without some fairly detailed surveys, but it feels right.

Writing to someone involved with the issue personally is always more
complicated, especially if they're - justifiably - angry or worried
about the situation. The problems are often quite complex, so can sit
longer while people consider how to approach the issue, and are more
likely to involve (long-term) onwiki followup, or require multiple
rounds of correspondence.

As a result, I suspect my 30% of "article issues" and Christine's 45%
are closer than they might seem - there's an unusually large backlog
of tickets this past month, compared to the situation a few months
ago, and so a count based on "still open" will suggest more of them
than actually come in on a daily basis.

Regarding a separate BLP queue, we found that a significant number of
tickets get handled in the "wrong" queues, because it's often simpler
for someone to respond to the email wherever it's come in rather than
move the ticket and then respond to it. Which is perfectly fine, of
course - a response goes out and everyone's happy - but it does mean
that the response data categorised by queue is often fairly
inaccurate. For meaningful data on any particular class of tickets,
you'd probably have to sample.

Apologies for the length, but hopefully that's of some use!

--=20
- Andrew Gray
=A0 andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk