[Foundation-l] Message to community about community decline

The Mono mono at mono.x10.bz
Thu Mar 31 03:45:01 UTC 2011

The problem is simple. Our top contributors leave. Because the way things
work makes it simply intolerable.

*25%* of all respondents [in a survey of contributors] said they stopped
contributing because

*"Some editors made Wikipedia a difficult place to work"*

*
*

*(http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/Former_Contributors_Survey_Results)*

On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 1:18 PM, Ting Chen <tchen at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Dear all:
>
> The Wikimedia Board of Trustees just completed its two-day meeting [1]
> this weekend in Berlin. We devoted the longest time to discussing
> declining trends in editing activity and our collective response to it.
> I encourage everyone to review Sue’s March update [2], and the editor
> trends study itself [3]. It is a deeply important topic, and each report
> is only a few pages long.
>
> The Board thinks this is the most significant challenge currently facing
> our movement. We would encourage the whole movement - the communities,
> wikiprojects, Chapters, Board, Foundation staff - to think about ways to
> meet this challenge. We know many contributors care about this and have
> worked on outreach and hospitality in past years. We are considering how
> we can help make such work more effective, and ask for suggestions from
> the community to this problem now and to invite discussion and
> suggestions [4].
>
> Greetings,
> Ting
>
> [1] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Board_meetings/March_25-26