[Foundation-l] Message to community about community decline

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 18:12:16 UTC 2011

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 11:16 PM, Keegan Peterzell
<keegan.wiki at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 12:56 AM, Ryan Kaldari <rkaldari at wikimedia.org>wrote:
>
>> On 3/28/11 5:20 PM, MZMcBride wrote:
>> > There's a theory that doing something like editing a free online
>> > encyclopedia is a niche activity, with a finite amount of people who will
>> > ever be willing to participate. If we accept this theory, it makes the
>> very
>> > strong focus on increased participation look rather silly.
>>
>>  Maybe it would include better articles on...hip-hop...
>
> I'm not a fan of either, but our coverage of hip-hop is strikingly more
> evolved than American country music.  Which says something about that part
> of our userbase...

We certainly have some significant gaps.  For something started by
internet geeks, our coverage of computer science is really quite weak
(ok for "end users", but very spotty elsewhere).  Our coverage of
other engineering fields is often atrocious.

There's a lot more content to get to.  The community behavior problems
in the way of getting to content annoy me a lot of days.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com