[Foundation-l] Editors survey and gender

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 19:43:51 UTC 2011

Hoi,
I have asked women from different communities about this, I have asked men
from different communities about this. For some languages the compromise is
not one of selecting either but using unnatural language. For some languages
women indicate that not being addressed properly makes them less inclined to
participate. In the Russian Wikipedia they use templates to show namespaces
depending on the gender of the person involved. For quite a number of
languages we are waiting for this software to be implemented in our live
environment with ready localisations.

Mislabeled suggest a choice. As a result of our ongoing ability to implement
gender in the strings it is only now possible to have gender specific name
spaces. We do not have the functionality yet to have logs that are gender
aware. We do not have a tool yet to localise / proof read only those
messages with gender functionality.

Our internationalisation has improved considerably over time and we are
better able to treat both men and women with the respect they are due.
Thanks,
      GerardM