[Foundation-l] please announce translations earlier

Casey Brown lists at caseybrown.org
Wed Mar 23 19:32:02 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 9:34 AM, Amir E. Aharoni
<amir.aharoni at mail.huji.ac.il> wrote:
> How much earlier should it be? I did Sue's letter mostly by myself and
> it took me two full days. That's right: two full days. It was
> announced two days in advance, so i spent an  entire weekend doing it.
> I'm a hopeless Internet geek, but i do like to take a walk in the park
> every now and then.

I definitely think that the letter was way too rushed, but that is not
the norm.  I can also understand the desire to try to be transparent
and post notifications as soon as possible, so that's a different
case.  Keep in mind, though, that the banners weren't put up for the
languages we were missing translations from until a few days later...
so there was definitely more time than just "two days".

> As for the Editors survey, there are several
> people working on the Hebrew translation of that gargantuan page and
> we still haven't finished.

I understand that it's a lot, and I really appreciate how hard you
guys have been working on it (I've been watching your progress).
However, I'm not sure it's really fair to say that there wasn't enough
time.  The workspace was originally created on March 1, more than
three weeks before the due date.  It's true that the translation
request wasn't officially opened until March 10, but that still left
two full weeks to translate.

It's also important to keep in mind that the majority of the
translation requests are not needed immediately.  Most of the pages,
such as the ones on WikimediaFoundation.org can be done at your
leisure.

For the other requests, we *are* cognizant of the fact that people
have lives and even if a translation might only take two hours to do,
it might be hard for you to find two hours in a row to actually do it
right away.  We do try to give as much time as possible.

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023