[Foundation-l] CAPTCHA at the Portuguese Wikipedia

GoEthe.wiki goethe.wiki at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 16:04:57 UTC 2011

 Dear all,

A CAPTCHA system for all anonymous users was activated at the Portuguese
Wikipedia in January 2008 to fight off some bot attacks we were facing [1].
The system remained in place since then, even after the bot attacks went
away, requiring that every single edit made by anonymous and not
autoconfirmed users pass through this system.

We have opened now a discussion [2] to see if it is possible to remove the
system without overburdening our vandal fighters with a massive ammount of
anonymous vandalism, but to argue one way or the other we are currently
lacking strong evidence that i) the ammount of anonymous vandalism changed
significantly after the implementation of the CAPTCHA system; and ii) the
CAPTCHA system is making it difficult for people to contribute anonymously;
and also we need a process to detect, if we decide to test how things would
go without the CAPTCHA, changes in the ammount of vandalism occoring at
ptwiki.

I would appreciate any comments/suggestions/
assistance on these issues.

User:GoEThe

[1]
http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikip%C3%A9dia:Esplanada/Arquivo/2008/Janeiro#Activa.C3.A7.C3.A3o_de_Captcha_para_edi.C3.A7.C3.B5es_por_IP