[Foundation-l] 2011 elections - low turnout

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Mar 21 08:49:41 UTC 2011

On 03/20/11 10:31 AM, Fred Bauder wrote:
>> Funny, secret ballots are actually meant to discourage cabalism, voting
>> for
>> favors and voter intimidation.
> Mileage may vary...
>
> In our situation, due to low turnout, secret and anonymous voting and
> lack of information, although involved Wikipedians do have some clue, we
> are quite vulnerable. I don't think there are any good solutions. I just
> know that I am often at a loss with respect to voting.
>
> In situations where I am informed, such as the U.S. presidential
> elections I may vote for someone who I know will do exactly the opposite
> of what they say they will do, but at least I know what I'm getting.

Even in US elections the turnout is much lower for the mid-terms.  It's
relatively easy to decide on a presidential candidate, but the degree of
being informed drops significantly for offices further down the
political food chain.

Secret ballots are important for Wikimedia, even more so when we rank
everyone who's on the ballot, and can even change our vote at anytime
before the process ends.   We have too many people who would hold
grudges against anyone voting the wrong way.

Ray