[Foundation-l] 2011 elections - low turnout

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 18:42:53 UTC 2011

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 11:01 AM, Fred Bauder <fredbaud at fairpoint.net> wrote:

>> I believe that we did this in... 2007, I think? (with open
>> endorsements). Anyway, it seemed to lead to cabal-ism and so was
>> dropped.
>
>> -- Phoebe
>>

> Don't take this personally, but who is "we" and who are the "cabals"? Who
> is in them and what is their agenda?
>
> Fred

We = the foundation, by way of the election committee: see
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Board_elections/2007/en

I said "cabal-ism", not specific cabals :) Meaning that endorsements
didn't seem that effective because everyone just endorsed the people
they knew.
But I wasn't on the election committee, and I'm writing this from
memory without looking at the lists archives etc, so hopefully someone
else has a more clear recollection of why it was tried and dropped can
say for sure.

best,
Phoebe