[Foundation-l] 2011 Board Elections: Input needed

Aryeh Gregor Simetrical+wikilist at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 17:07:06 UTC 2011

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 12:32 PM, Stephen Bain <stephen.bain at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry if I was unclear, I meant that the development community is
> somewhat separate: people making modifications for non-Wikimedia
> installs, non-Wikimedia extension devs, Wikia devs, etc. Not that I
> know how many of them there are.

I don't see how that makes them any more separate from other projects
than, say, Wikibooks is separate from Wikipedia.  Yes, there are
probably participants who aren't interested in any other Wikimedia
project, but that's true for all of Wikimedia's projects (well, maybe
not Commons).  MediaWiki itself is a Wikimedia project, at least
according to this official-looking list:

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Our_projects

So contributions to MediaWiki are contributions to a Wikimedia
project, even if the contributions aren't useful to other Wikimedia
projects (e.g., extensions that Wikimedia has no interest in).