[Foundation-l] 2011 elections - low turnout

Stephanie Daugherty sdaugherty at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 16:58:56 UTC 2011

Funny, secret ballots are actually meant to discourage cabalism, voting for
favors and voter intimidation.

But yeah, with both lack of turnout and lack of information on candidates
they do tend to make things easy to manipulate. I really don't think that
going to an open ballot is right though because the problems can better be
solved elsewhere and once they are it will provide a valuable safeguard to
maintain secret ballots.

The nomination process might be one area we can counter the problem.
Nominations can be public and with some degree of support needed to stand
for election the names of editors endorsing a candidate can be very telling
as to what their interests are.

Sent from my mobile device.