[Foundation-l] 2011 Board Elections: Input needed

Ziko van Dijk zvandijk at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 20 14:17:54 UTC 2011

Hello FT2, as members of a chapter, people already can decide about
the consistence of the WMF board - at least, indirectly. I mean the
general principle that someone pays and can vote, it's not so strange.
But I concede that we would then have to ask ourselves how much money
is equivalent to what number of edits...
Ziko

2011/3/20 FT2 <ft2.wiki at gmail.com>:
> That's a different possible category. Should people who do not have capacity
> to vote as editors, but are paid-up members of a chapter, be able to vote in
> that capacity? (Alternatively, are chapter members' voting rights and
> involvement limited to the chapter if they haven't taken part in any wider
> activity?)
>
> I don't have a problem with it, provided their membership is long enough (6+
> months?) before the election.
>
> There are probably good arguments both ways.  A lot depends on personal
> philosophy: whether you see the foundation and chapters, as effectively
> different arms of the same thing or as distinct. For example, if they are
> "different arms of the same thing" then there would be commonsense reasons
> to share donor lists (as John Vandenberg raises) as there is no reason why 2
> parts of the same project would withold information from each other. If they
> are distinct then paying membership to one may not lead to voting franchise
> for the board of the other. There's considerable philosophy here that
> spreads far beyond the election, it may be better to discuss it before it's
> a problem in any way while it's fresh and malleable, but the board election
> isn't really the context to do so.
>
> FT2
>

> On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 2:01 PM, Ziko van Dijk <zvandijk at googlemail.com>wrote:
>
>> Not so quick - I am paying fees, for Wikimedia Nederland and Wikimedia
>> Deutschland. Would you say that they are not Wikimedia?`:-)

Ziko van Dijk
The Netherlands
http://zikoblog.wordpress.com/