[Foundation-l] 2011 Board Elections: Input needed

FT2 ft2.wiki at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 12:03:18 UTC 2011

Relevance is a good point. I've always been a bit dubious about purely
platform based voting, where you get "N" candidates and each says what they
hope to do. It is common experience that once emplaced it's often difficult
to deliver on promises.

Wikimedia is built on radical grass-roots openness. Perhaps consider whether
a different way might be better. Try this as a completely different
approach, where the community suggests its priorities *prior to the election
*.

   1. This is done via a 2 week staging area where anyone can suggest a
   possible priority, duplicates can be dealt with, and proposed priorities
   getting more than 25 supports and 50% form a pool of “community priorities”
   2. The resulting community priorities are listed
   3. All candidates can comment briefly on each.

This provides a far more focused election, where candidates can actually
know and focus on what the community cares about.  Matters that the
community cares about will have received a specific comment from each
candidate.  The community can compare candidates' views on specific issues
of wide interest, and vote based on the candidates' specific views on these.

FT2