[Foundation-l] Is Google allowing users to block Wikipedia?

Bence Damokos bdamokos at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 21:21:59 UTC 2011

On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 10:00 PM, Kul Takanao Wadhwa
<kwadhwa at wikimedia.org>wrote:

> On 3/19/11 1:56 PM, Erik Moeller wrote:
> > 2011/3/19 Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org>:
> >> Looks like it's one of their small percentage experiments. Haven't
> >> been able to reproduce it myself. Not clear whether it's just
> >> wikipedia.org or other/all sites.
> > Bence pointed to this explanation:
> >
> http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2011/03/hide-sites-to-find-more-of-what-you.html
> >
> Thx. I know about the general blocking option but wanted to know if
> anyone has seen other sites, besides Wikipedia, specifically called out
> too.

I haven't seen this feature in action yet, but if I understood how it works,
it gives the blocking option for the site you just visited (presuming that
it was a bad result and that's why you returned to the search page), that
way you wouldn't see other sites called out if you return from a Wikipedia
result, but you would if you choose some other result.
It is just "unlucky", that Wikipedia has 10M+ pages, so a simple block based
on the domain can go a huge way...

Best regards,
Bence