[Foundation-l] Is Google allowing users to block Wikipedia?

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Sat Mar 19 20:53:32 UTC 2011

2011/3/19 Kul Takanao Wadhwa <kwadhwa at wikimedia.org>:
> Somebody just contacted me to let me know that he thinks Google is
> experimenting with their search result options: one option is to allow
> users to block Wikipedia articles from showing up in Google's search
> results. Sometimes this option comes up and sometimes is doesn't. Has
> anyone else seen this? Does anybody know anything about this?

Corroboration:
http://www.bechrome.com/como-bloquear-sitios-en-los-resultados-de-google/

Looks like it's one of their small percentage experiments. Haven't
been able to reproduce it myself. Not clear whether it's just
wikipedia.org or other/all sites.

--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation