[Foundation-l] Access to academic journals (was Re: Remarks on Wikimedia's fundraiser)

David Goodman dggenwp at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 17:45:40 UTC 2011

Universities can't do this, generally. All contracts I have ever seen
limit the off-campus access to people connected with the university. A
few  publishers even limit the on-campus access similarly, but most
publishers explicitly permit it.

But many universities do even worse than the contracts say: they limit
on-campus access in such a way as to not permit access to visitors.
This is true even of some public universities. Various excuses are
offerred, none of them valid--the usual one is lack of computer
facilities, which lost its credibility a number of years ago.