[Foundation-l] breaking English Wikipedia apart

dex2000 at pc.dk dex2000 at pc.dk
Tue Mar 15 03:24:08 UTC 2011

> Fra: George Herbert <george.herbert at gmail.com>
> Til: Wikimedia Foundation Mailing List
> <foundation-l at lists.wikimedia.org>
> Dato: Man, 14. mar 2011 23:31
> Emne: Re: [Foundation-l] breaking English Wikipedia apart
>
> This is getting kind of stuck on the specifics of BLPs being
> separated (or not).
>
> Can we step back and address the generic idea again. A restatement of
> the intended benefits and advantages of splitting the project would
> be
> appreciated.

The discussion has taken even bigger swings than usual for this list, and
my above suggestion is now under the misleading heading "breaking en:wiki
apart". That was not my intention at all. Please consider the benefits of
"segmentation" or "virtual wikis" instead.

According to John Wandenberg, that is a 10-year plan. I don't agree and
consider it a 6-months plan

Let each project have it's own admins, recent changes, mailing list etc.
but still under the umbrella of the language wiki in question. Admins and
contributors will be able to aggregate knowledge of the project's
subjects, sources etc in a much deeper way than now.

FT2 has even pointed to the strategy discussion about the possibility of
adding an international perspective on cooperation of projects across
languages with further benefits, especially maybe to narrower subjects.

The big wikipedias would benefit in numerous areas by being
project-driven to a much larger extent. Let a newcomer join one or more
projects instead of the huge Wikipedia - let the project welcome her,
discuss what contributions she wants to make and what she is able to do,
hand out tasks that are unfinished etc.Think it over once again.

Regards,
Sir48/Thyge