[Foundation-l] breaking English Wikipedia apart

Risker risker.wp at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 15:01:20 UTC 2011

On 14 March 2011 09:53, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 14 March 2011 13:46, Andreas Kolbe <jayen466 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Having a single person would not work, as people would assume that a
> single
> > person may have their own personal biases affecting their judgment.
> > An elected committee might work, and I do think we should look at
> empowering
> > such a committee to remove the right to edit BLPs from editors who
> > repeatedly abuse it, and at creating the technical means to do so.
>

> An elected committee to deal with editor disputes ... we could call it
> the Arbitration Committee!
>
> Except the arbcom feels it has lost so much community confidence it
> doesn't even feel it has the power to enforce long-standing
> fundamental policies:
>
> http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikien-l/2011-January/108319.html
> http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikien-l/2011-January/108321.html
>
> (The context there being that they feel they can't maintain the rule
> "no personal attacks" even to the admins.)
>
> Are you suggesting something like a second, parallel arbcom if the
> first has finally stalled?

David, I strongly object to your continued twisting of my words, and your
personal crusade to turn the English Wikipedia Arbitration Committee into a
"personal attacks" police force.  That was never the intended scope of the
committee, and it remains outside of its scope.  We're currently working
through a desysop process in which one of the elements in evidence is the
administrator's alleged incivility:  I'm not seeing a huge groundswell of
support from you or any other former arbitrators for the Arbitration
Committee having tackled this issue, and I don't see any historical evidence
of committees prior to 2009 having addressed this issue either, including
the time that you were on the committee.

Risker/Anne