[Foundation-l] Global banners usage

MZMcBride z at mzmcbride.com
Mon Mar 14 07:29:05 UTC 2011

Gerard Meijssen wrote:
> The lack of options to vote for makes it a biased attempt at strong arming
> into a specific directions. In my opinion as it is flawed it is hardly
> relevant.

I'm not sure if other projects have the "Requests for comment" system (or
are familiar with it), but generally people are free to add their own
views/"voting options" in a separate section. This was explained at the top
of the page ("Please feel free to add your view below or support a view
that's already been written."). Simply because people chose not to add more
views doesn't make the entire process irrelevant. That said, this particular
RFC was flawed for other reasons (particularly the changes to the underlying
software), but I don't see the RFC process as a whole as blameworthy here.

Of note here is that some portion of the community would like to see a
better process (or any process) developed for when and where to add global
banners. That's the issue that needs attention here, in my opinion. As I
said earlier, I'm not sure of the best way forward at this point, but I
don't think current practice is sustainable.

MZMcBride