[Foundation-l] Is there a good reason to delete the Burj Al Arab?

Hans A. Rosbach hans.a.rosbach at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 18:25:32 UTC 2011

On 13 March 2011 18:55, Yaroslav M. Blanter <putevod at mccme.ru> wrote:

> > Given that the only Wikipedia in existence is the English Wikipedia,
> that
> > is.
> >
> > Hans Rosbach
> >

> I am not sure what you mean by this statement. Could you please explain?
>
> The English Wikipedia has a fair use policy, I know of no other Wikipedia
that has one. The statement "We can claim fair use when using images like
that on
Wikipedia" is correct for English Wikipedia, but not for the other
Wikipedias. For all those that use Commons for all pictures, the FOP policy
has to be the same as on Commons. The upside of that is that all content is
reusable for users, including images. The downside is obviously that non-FOP
areas have limits on availability of images.

The downside of the fair use policy on English Wikipedia is that the
incentive to donate free images is little. The most visible Wikipedia
already have pictures, asking for free images for Wikipedia thus gets
harder. Solidarity from the English Wikipedia would in the short term mean
less illustrations in the most visible page on the search results, but I
believe in the long term it would lead to more donations of free images.

Hans A Rosbach