[Foundation-l] Is there a good reason to delete the Burj Al Arab?

Peter Carney ukpete39 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 12:01:02 UTC 2011

Validly licenced images of this building and thousands of others are
routinely deleted due to Wikimedia Commons' 'FoP' policy. Clearly this
damages our educational mission and impacts many projects. One
proposed remedy is a tweak to the policy on the lines of that arising
from the National Portrait Gallery dispute. Opponents of change say
things like "Commons only accepts free content" which was never
strictly true even before the NPG/PD-art policy change.

The question which I'd like to hear your views on is: Can you think of
any valid arguments to the effect that deleting these images has an
upside - a benefit to our mission?

P Carney