[Foundation-l] Remarks on Wikimedia's fundraiser

Michael Snow wikipedia at frontier.com
Wed Mar 9 23:37:33 UTC 2011

On 3/9/2011 3:09 PM, David Gerard wrote:
> On 9 March 2011 23:02, David Goodman<dggenwp at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Until recently, the foundation has been increasing its staff by hiring
>> the best person immediately available, rather than a person good
>> enough to do the necessary job.
> Citation needed.
It depends on your definition of recently. We were still making mistakes
along these lines a couple years ago, but I think the relevant lessons
were learned, certainly by the time we had to hire a CTO to replace
Brion (who it's so wonderful to have back with us, not that he fully
left or anything). And of course regularly reviewing and applying those
lessons is good, not just for hiring but any kind of recruiting. For
example, the process that led us to find Bishakha went through a number
of iterations and took longer than we would have liked, but ultimately
it was what we needed to find the right person for that position on the
board. I would generally agree with much of David's advice as a matter
of theory, regardless of how familiar he is with actual current practice
at the foundation.

--Michael Snow