[Foundation-l] Remarks on Wikimedia's fundraiser

David Goodman dggenwp at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 23:02:34 UTC 2011

Until recently, the foundation has been increasing its staff by hiring
the best person immediately available, rather than a person good
enough to do the necessary job.  I''ve seen this sort of situation
numerous times in my library career, and dealing with it in this  way
is  not good practice. Good practice is to do one of several things:
1. keep the job unfilled , and search again and again until there is a
suitable applicant -- except for a critical replacement, this is
nearly always possible, & if it is a critical position, there should
have been a in-house person qualified to back up the position as long
as necessary. I've known major libraries leaving   key senior
positions unfilled for 10 years, until a suitable candidate was found.
2. redefine the job so that there are available applicants who can
fill them. this may require rearranging other positions, including
asking people at higher levels to take on responsibilities they would
rather delegate.
3. Increase the financial and non-financial aspects of the position,
in order to attract a wider range of candidates. This is especially
necessary to get applications from highly qualified candidates who
would need to relocate. Some organizations may be too poor to do this,
or be dealing with controlling outside bodies that limit their
flexibility, in which case they can do the 4th option, an option which
often has benefits even for the richest:
4. rely more on the volunteers, even for things one would not normally
expect a volunteer to do.  Wikipedia has some unusually well-qualified
volunteers available, as compared with most any other organization.

If anyone asks me if I have particular people in mind, this is
obviously not for the list, but I have had a few confidential
discussion as appropriate on the matter. I believe most of the people
at the foundation & on the board who know the situation would agree
with me, even though I do not expect them to say so. There was one
change that indicated that the situation was recognized, and I think
things are   improving.