[Foundation-l] [Announce] Brion Vibber to rejoin Wikimedia Foundation

church.of.emacs.ml church.of.emacs.ml at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 9 10:51:59 UTC 2011

On 03/08/2011 10:25 PM, Samuel Klein wrote:
> I'd like to see that tested, personally. More than 50% of the
> Foundation contributors do not write in English, and don't read
> English as a primary language; if this is true, then we should
> implement a better solution for foundation-level discussions in other
> major language families.

Indeed, language barriers should not be underestimated.

But I don't think making foundation-l multilingual would solve any
problem: It'd just make this list even more confusing and unclear :)

We already have mailing lists in other languages (e.g. WikiDE-l), what's
really missing is communications between those lists.
(Just to throw in a crazy idea: Informal monthly reports on what's going
on in the communities and what's bothering them? And on the other hand a
summary of what's being discussed on foundation-l?)

A similar problem is software feature requests and bug reports. There's
a page on German Wikipedia for new proposals – a useless effort unless
someone goes ahead, translates them into English and put them into
Bugzilla* (this is infrequently done by some volunteers).

--Tobias

* although one could even argue that this is useless as well ;)