[Foundation-l] Remarks on Wikimedia's fundraiser

Andrew Gray andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk
Wed Mar 9 00:53:59 UTC 2011

On 9 March 2011 00:24, Pedro Sanchez <pdsanchez at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you for your enlightening response.
> * Reddit ... a project with values similar to ours
> * Google  ... a project with values similar to ours
> * OWA  ?¿
> * CivicCRM  ... this one offers services to help internal management
> * Creative Commons  ok, finally one project with similar values than
> ours: free content
>
> Now, out of the five, only one is actually related and shares similare
> values with our purpose.

I note that Arthur qualified his list with "...at least in the
technology department". From that perspective, WMFs similarities to
the first two are more along the lines of "running very large
websites" than they are "generating free content". The latter is the
fundamental goal, of course, but we'd have problems if the *technical*
staff spent all their time working on it!

CiviCRM, incidentally, is the main software WMF uses for internal
donations management.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk