[Foundation-l] Access to academic journals (was Re: Remarks on Wikimedia's fundraiser)

John Vandenberg jayvdb at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 21:24:15 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 7:52 AM, Fred Bauder <fredbaud at fairpoint.net> wrote:

>>> AFAIK, these publishers make the pricing upon the number of
>> scholars/researchers/students of a certain university/corporation: I bet
>> they would make us unbearable fees (in fact the potential users are
>> hundred
>> thousands, if not millions).
>
> Limited to editors with 20,000 edits or more?
>
> You have to ask, negotiate, etc.

IMO this should be done through the chapters, which are member based
organisations, and they can choose whether it is necessary in their
country.

In Australia we also have very good access available through public
and university libraries, but often people arn't aware of the
resources they can access if they ask.

--
John Vandenberg