[Foundation-l] Access to academic journals (was Re: Remarks on Wikimedia's fundraiser)

Andrea Zanni zanni.andrea84 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 20:32:33 UTC 2011

2011/3/8 Juergen Fenn <juergen.fenn at gmx.de>

> Am 08.03.11 20:46, schrieb Samuel Klein:
> > Melissa -- absolutely!  I don't know the real stats, but I think we
> > cite OA jornals far more than any others in Wikipedia for this reason.
>
> Which is certainly a rather bad idea because what always counts first
> must be the quality of content, not the license of a citation or whether
> its available on-line or printed only.

This is true, but in most cases access to the resource allows transparency
and verifiability, and we certainly want those.

BTW, do we (Wikimedia communtiy) have good and enstablished contacts with
the open access community? I mean, apart from single users or wikimedians.
IMHO lobbying with them also at an higher level should be a priority for
Wikimedia.