[Foundation-l] Access to academic journals (was Re: Remarks on Wikimedia's fundraiser)

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Tue Mar 8 20:23:21 UTC 2011

> In general, access to academic journals is extremely expensive and
> usually only possible for those affiliated with universities.
>
> Melissa

ProQuest can be purchased by corporations. The Wikimedia Foundation is a
corporation. Typically a University will give their students access. We
could give access to established editors.

It would not have to be free. And at ProQuest you don't have to subscribe
to every database. We might, for example, take a special interest in
Black newspapers:

http://www.proquest.com/en-US/catalogs/databases/detail/histnews-bn.shtml

Or any other area which might advance our mission in a special way.

Fred