[Foundation-l] Access to academic journals (was Re: Remarks on Wikimedia's fundraiser)

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 19:46:00 UTC 2011

Melissa -- absolutely!  I don't know the real stats, but I think we
cite OA jornals far more than any others in Wikipedia for this reason.

Approaching the problem from both sides seems useful, however,
especially for historical reference works like Wikipedia and
Wikibooks.  We absolutely do want to include a balance of sources that
are not OA, and finding better ways to search them and verify material
in them is part of making that work with our current editorial model.

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 1:53 PM, Melissa Hagemann <MHagemann at sorosny.org> wrote:
> --- On Tue, Mar 8, 2011, Andreas Kolbe <jayen466 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> --- On Tue, 8/3/11, Fred Bauder <fredbaud at fairpoint.net> wrote:
>> > From: Fred Bauder <fredbaud at fairpoint.net>
>> > Fred Bauder <fredbaud at fairpoint.net>
>> > I guess I would like editors to have access to archives and
>> > databases
>> > such as those ProQuest sells. Not sure how that would fit
>> > into our
>> > budget.
>>
>> I would like to second that as well -- this is a very important way in
>> which
>> the Foundation could support high-volume content contributors, and
> which
>> would make a significant difference to article quality.
>>
>> This should be a part of university outreach as well. Many university
>> students have log-in IDs enabling them to log into academic databases
> from
>> their homes. Please tell universities who would like to support
> Wikipedia
>> that this is a really important way in which they can support the
> project,
>> by allowing established content contributors access to these
> databases.
>

> In general, access to academic journals is extremely expensive and
> usually only possible for those affiliated with universities.  However
> there is an alternative.  There are now over 6,000 peer-reviewed open
> access journals which are freely available online (www.doaj.org) and
> over 1,800 academic repositories where authors deposit copies of their
> research articles (www.opendoar.org).  This is the result of the open
> access movement (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_access_(publishing)
> which advocates for public access to publicly funded research.
>
> Hopefully the research which is being made available through open access
> can help to support the work of the community.
>
> Melissa

Samuel Klein          identi.ca:sj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266