[Foundation-l] [Announce] Brion Vibber to rejoin Wikimedia Foundation

Liam Wyatt liamwyatt at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 02:58:02 UTC 2011

On 8 March 2011 00:23, church.of.emacs.ml <church.of.emacs.ml at googlemail.com
> wrote:

> Wow, great news!
>
> >> Lead Architect for the next generation MediaWiki platform
>
> I'd really like to hear more about that. Did I miss something or is this
> a new project? :-)
>
> --Tobias

I'm quite interested in what that concept entails myself!  Danese talkes
about "mediawiki.next" in the announcement blogpost, and Brion also goes
into a bit of detail about the new parser plans in his own blog:
http://leuksman.com/log/2011/03/07/hotel-mediawiki-you-can-check-out-but-you-can-never-leave/Does
the "next generation mediawiki platform" have any relationship to the
concept of the “Strategic Product Department” that was mentioned in passing
in the recent monthly engineering report (under "review system"
http://techblog.wikimedia.org/2011/03/wikimedia-engineering-february-report/)?

-Liam
wittylama.com/blog
Peace, love & metadata