[Foundation-l] 2006-2011: Mexican, Argentinian, Brazilian governments distance themselves from freedomdefined 1.0

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 06:37:51 UTC 2011

On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 11:04 PM, Newyorkbrad <newyorkbrad at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'll ask the same thing here that I asked in the other thread and no one
> responded to, which is, can someone please provide some concrete examples of
> how this issue affects Wikipedia, rather than discuss the disagreement in
> purely abstract and theoretical terms?  Frankly, I have very little idea
> what the post below means, which is something I'd like to change as it
> sounds somewhat important.

This directly affects whether Wikimedians can include government
documents, photos, whitepapers, and other media from these sources...
without having to explicitly ask for a free license case by case (or
department by department).

Free culture movements can influence some of the world's largest
publishers, including governments and government printing offices
around the world.  Some of them have moved towards a free license and
then moved away towards a more restrictive one.  Other governments
have long held a commitment to public domain, but have moved away from
that position in recent years.  If we find a way to address the
concerns of these groups within free licensing regimes, those streams
of knowledge will be freely available from their inception.

SJ

> On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 7:29 AM, Teofilo <teofilowiki at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Mexico switched from PD to CC-BY-NC-ND in 2006 (1)
>> Argentina from CC-BY-SA to CC-BY-NC some time in 2009-2011 (2)
>> Brazil removed CC-BY-SA altogether from the culture ministry website
>> in early 2011, in a context where the ministry is planning to reform
>> the copyright law (3)
>>
>> Are our definition and our practices around free culture attractive
>> enough for democratically elected governments ?
>>
>> My view is that they aren't. They are unnecessarily dry, unhuman,
>> personality-rights-moral-rights aggressive,
>> uploader-unfriendly-downloader-friendly.
>>
>> (1) http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:PD-Mexico-NIP
>> (2)
>> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons_talk:Licensing/Archive_32#Template:CC-AR-Presidency
>> (3)
>> http://www.ip-watch.org/weblog/2011/02/08/inside-views-brazils-copyright-reform-schizophrenia/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A%20ip-watch%20%28Intellectual%20Property%20Watch%29

Samuel Klein          identi.ca:sj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266