[Foundation-l] Remarks on Wikimedia's fundraiser

Juergen Fenn juergen.fenn at gmx.de
Sun Mar 6 12:18:42 UTC 2011

Am 06.03.11 11:14, schrieb Pavel Richter:

> But who says that the sole purpose of the WMF is to keep Wikimedia wikis
> running? Wikipedia is much more than just a website where people get
> information fast and for free. Wikipedia is a cultural phenomenon and
> spearhead of a large movement for free knowledge. And WMF (and the
> chapters, for that matter) should improve the enviremonet of this
> movement, educate the public, run campaigns to advocate free knowledge
> and help the movement in any way possible. I think our mission is way
> bigger than just keep the wikis running.

I gather that these are two sides to a coin. However, the basic question
seems to be, do the WMF and the local chapters support the community in
making Wikipedia and other projects, or does the community support the
former in running more projects than just operating the wiki servers?
The amount of money you need to raise depends on the answer to this
question.

Regards,
Jürgen.