[Foundation-l] Remarks on Wikimedia's fundraiser

Philippe Beaudette philippe at wikimedia.org
Sat Mar 5 23:06:31 UTC 2011

:: remove Head of Reader Relations hat, and put on "I worked on the
strategic plan" hat ::

On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 12:31 PM, church.of.emacs.ml <church.of.emacs.ml@
googlemail.com> wrote:

> Sure. I'd love to get opinions from more people (perhaps at Wikimania,
> too?)
> The (editing) community should to be comfortable with Wikimedia raising
> funds, and if it isn't, we need to find ways so that it will be
> (disabling banners for logged-in users is a low-hanging fruit, taking
> their wishes in the selection (not only creation) of banners into
> account might be another).
>
> > If some people think the foundation should be much smaller, and shouldn't
> be
> > raising a budget this size, then let's have that discussion.
>
> It's hard to tell. I wouldn't go so far as to say that it should be
> smaller, but it is obvious that we need to think about stop growing at
> some point (and in my opinion sooner than later).
>
> -- Tobias

It seems to me that we spent a year building a strategic plan, which
included huge business planning components for exactly this conversation....

pb